As more stories about natural disasters and blackouts are reported in the media, it is a good idea for business owners to consider purchasing a standby generator. A generator will help you in the event of a hurricane, tornado, or regional power outage. Selecting the right generator for your needs is critical, but it can also be overwhelming. Today, we will look at Kohler vs. Generac standby generators. These two major brands have both pros and cons, so doing your research in Generac vs. Kholer is important before you purchase either one.
What Is A Standby Generator?
A standby generator offers you an automatic and permanent backup solution for power outages. This type of generator is permanently installed at your business property and can be turned on easily with the flip of a switch or by an automatic sensor that starts the generator as soon as the main power source is lost. Standby generators can generally be used in the event of an extended power outage, depending on the fuel type and generator configuration.
Kohler: A Century Of Experience
Kohler has been producing generators with their own branded motors since 1920. They are the oldest generator company in the world and their products are known for a quality that other generator manufacturers just can’t match. The company is known for high-end products and innovative technology and has led the industry by offering top-of-the-line power backup solutions since its founding. The main reasons to purchase a Kohler generators are:
- Reliability – If you are going to spend money on a generator, you want to make sure it can give you power when you need it. Every Kohler generator comes with a heavy-duty, commercial-grade engine that can withstand the harshest weather conditions.
- Warranty – Kohler offers one of the best warranties in the industry, with a standard 5-year, 2,000-hour premium warranty with your purchase. Many units also come with a corrosion-proof enclosure that protects your investment along with the warranty.
- Powerful engine – Kohler’s engines have been built to withstand even the most extreme workloads. The company’s PowerBoost technology ensures that your generator can handle large starting loads, like central air conditioning units, without dropping power to your other electronics.
- Quiet operation – When in use, a Kohler generator operates at sound levels resembling that of an AC unit! This quiet operation is perfect for neighborhoods or other sensitive environments.
In the battle of Kohler generators vs. Generac standby generators, these key features skew heavily in Kohler’s favor: a remote monitoring system that allows you to keep an eye on your generator from any place, at any time; an automatic transfer switch that provides a smooth and seamless transition from utility power to generator power in the event of an outage; a power management system that allows you to prioritize the use of your generator’s power to essential electronics; and a sound attenuated enclosure that reduces the noise of your generator.
Generac: A Cost-Effective Solution For Business Owners
Generac has been in business since 1959. The company has made a name for itself as an industry leader in terms of generator design, power output, and quality. They are also known for generators that are less expensive when compared with similar brands that are currently on the market. The main reasons business owners might consider a Generac generator include:
- Smooth operation – Generac generators are manufactured with less than 5 percent total harmonic distortion. This means that your appliances will run smoothly, and any sensitive electronics will be protected from overloading and overheating.
- Durability – Generac generators are encased in a housing that is protected with a powder coat finish. This protects the unit from weather and means it will be resistant to corrosion for years to come.
- Ease of use – When comparing Kohler vs. Generac standby generators, one feature stands out. Generac generators come with a multilingual LCD display that allows you to monitor your generator’s battery as well as other features.
- Reliable engine – Generac’s pressure-lubricated engines require less maintenance than many other engines on the market.
- Customer service – Purchasing a Generac generator gives the owner 24/7 access to customer service from the brand’s headquarters in Wisconsin.
Different models of Generac generators offer different features, but many of the following can be found across the board: a range of remote monitoring options that allow customers to stay informed about the status of their generator; an automatic transfer switch that allows a seamless transition from utility power to generator power; a power management system that ensures the correct power load is being supplied at all times; and a quiet test mode that allows owners to run a weekly self-test of the generator without disturbing surrounding businesses.
Who Wins? Kohler Or Generac?
In the battle of Kohler generators vs Generac standby generators, Both Kohler and Generac generators are loaded with features that guarantee customers reliable power in the event of a power outage or disaster situation. The biggest, and most noticeable, difference in these generators is price. A Kohler generator will cost more upfront but requires less maintenance down the road – saving you money on repair costs. But if the initial cost is a problem, Generac offers many reliable generators for the budget-conscious. Bear in mind, however, a Generac generator may have a shorter life span than a Kohler generator, which means you might face the cost of replacing the unit sooner than you would a Kohler generator.
A Final Word About Kohler and Generac Generators
When considering Kohler vs. Generac standby generators, the cost can be a very obvious barrier for many consumers. Other factors to consider before making your decision on Generac vs. Kholer are noise level, warranty and customer support; and general reliability. Talking to a reputable generator dealer about your needs, including your budget, can make the decision for this important purchase much easier. And it means that no matter what Mother Nature throws at you, you will stay open for business – with no loss of assets or revenue.